Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/almaxx/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_db.php on line 14
Hen and Chickens Motorcycle Rider Training @ Almaxx: Before you start

Before you ride on a public road

If you have a provisional motorcycle licence, you are required by law to satisfactorily complete a Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) course. You can then ride on the public road, with L plates (in Wales either D plates, L plates or both can be used), for up to two years on machines up to 125cc and maximum 11kw power.

From 19 January 2013 there’ll be new age restrictions on the category of motorcycle you can use to take your test.

There are 3 sub-categories of motorcycles you can use for your test. The sub-category of motorcycle you use affects the sub-categories you can ride after passing your test.

You must use the same sub-category of motorcycle for both modules of the test.

Sub-category A1 motorcycles (over 17 yrs) must:
be a solo motorcycle
be between 120cc and 125cc
be no more than 11kW engine power
be capable of at least 55mph

Sub-category A2 motorcycles (over 19) must:
be a solo motorcycle
be at least 395cc
be between 25kW and 35kW engine power
have a power to weight ratio no more than 0.2kW/kg
If the engine power of the motorcycle has been restricted to fit sub-category A2, the normal unrestricted power can’t be more than double its new restricted power.

If you have an A2 restricted motorcycle, you must bring proof of the restriction to your test, or it will be cancelled. It must be on headed notepaper from a main dealer, official importer or recognised specialist, and must show the motorcycle’s registration number.

Category A unrestricted motorcycles (over 24) must:
be a solo motorcycle
be at least 595cc
be at least 40kW engine power